Thursday, September 20, 2007

coupons!!

It’s interesting to consider how people save money. Do they clip coupons from magazines and newspapers? Do they seek out online promotions? How are the right coupons matched with the right people? Depending on the product, it might be the case that most users are willing to pay full retail to save the effort.

Presently, there exist websites (i.e. fatwallet.com, retailmenot.com, slickdeals.com, etc.) catered to solving this problem. However, they typically employ only a social ranking algorithm to bump up and down popular coupons and present them to the users, without each individual users’ preferences and interests in mind. I suspect it’d be more useful to instead create a personalized coupon listing for the user based on implicit and/or explicit user profiling techniques, and then using collaborative filtering for coupon recommendation.

3 comments:

V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
V said...

I might be able to help you if you decide to go forward with this project.

I hate to admit this, but I have a habit of looking through the Sunday paper and clipping coupons. These coupons are for things that you would find at the grocery store or at Target. Occasionally I use them. I tend to use them more if they are for more than a couple bucks off. I'm not so fond of printing out coupons and taking them to a store, although I will use promotional codes for discounts when shopping online.

Virginia

September 20, 2

Stefanie said...

I would possibly be interested in this project. Could you possibly send me more details? Thanks!

-Stefanie

slr@me.berkeley.edu